October 2013: Mirbeau's Apple Cider Martini
October's Featured Recipe: Mirbeau's Apple Cider Martini
With the arrival of autumn in Central New York, we decided to give our mixology skills a whirl with a special drink for The Wine Bar. Mirbeau's Apple Cider Martini was born. It's popularity and deliciousness made us think that you might like to try it at home. We hope you enjoy.
- 1 oz vodka
- 2 oz apple cider
- 0.5 oz calvados or any apple brandy
- Brown Sugar simple syrup
- Raw brown sugar mixed with cinnamon and nutmeg
*Depending on desired taste, you can make equal parts vodka and cider. Makes one cocktail to be served up or on the rocks.
- To make brown sugar simple syrup: in squeeze bottle or container that can withstand hot water, mix equal parts brown sugar and simmering to boiling water. Stir until sugar is dissolved, let cool.
- Mix liquor and cider in martini shaker with ice. Add simple syrup to taste, average 2 table spoons.
- Prepare glass by taking a wedge of desired citrus (we recommend orange)and rub around rim. Pour raw brown sugar mixture evenly on a plate or saucer.
- Shake drink mixture until martini shaker becomes cold and almost frosty on the outside.
- Using strainer pour into glass.
- If enjoying on the rocks, add ice cubes after you pour to control ice to cocktail ratio. Garnish with apple slice or cinnamon stick.