A Spa Cleanse at Home: Expert Tips from Mirbeau Inn & Spa
08/10/2011 - SKANEATELES, NY
A seasonal detox is an effective way to clear toxins out of one’s system to speed up metabolism, and to enhance overall health. On the heels of its successful Fresh Start Cleanse Retreat this spring, the award-winning Mirbeau Inn & Spa offers up a do-it-yourself detox for those who seek to continue its health benefits at home.
Here are Spa Director Matt Dower’s top tips for an at-home cleanse:
- Start your morning with a tall glass of water with the juice of ½ of a lemon. Lemon helps re-hydrate the system and promotes digestion, which will help the flow of waste out of your body.
- Decrease your sugar intake, including honey, molasses and artificial sweeteners. If you eat more sugar, you ask your body for more insulin, straining your pancreas and wearing yourself out. In the long term, this kind of habit can cause you to become chronically fatigued, diabetic, develop cancer, and pack on excess weight.
- Eat more rice products and less wheat and processed grain. Eat more garbanzo and mung beans. Certain foods contain nutrition that enhances the liver's ability to clear toxins from the body.
- Eat as much fresh organic fruits and vegetables as possible, especially leafygreens, carrots, beets, broccoli, cucumbers, garlic, onions, artichokes and peppers. Certain foods contain nutrition that enhances the liver's ability to clear toxins from the body.
- Use unheated flax seed oil instead of other cooking oils.
- Eat vitamin-C rich foods to help detoxify your liver and strengthen the immune system against toxic exposure.
- Make sure you have adequate amounts of vitamins D, E and K in your diet. Many people are deficient in these vitamins that play a key role in antioxidant function.
- Sweat. Sweating is a natural way for the body to get rid of toxins. Whether through aerobic exercise, heated yoga, a sauna or otherwise, sweat daily.
- Make sure you drink plenty of filtered water during and after your workout to replace the water loss.
- Eat more foods with amino acids such as grass-fed meat, wild fish, cage-free eggs, milk and legumes. Amino acids have a special ability to attach themselves to toxins and drag them out of the body.
- Meditate. Creating a quiet, calm and focused mind helps eliminate toxins that build up in the mind.
- Exercise. Regular exercise encourages circulation in the blood and lymph system, enhances digestion, reduces tension, lubricates the joints, and strengthens the body. People who exercise regularly have far fewer total toxins in their systems.
Spa-goers can complement their at-home cleansing rituals with a variety of detoxifying spa treatments at Mirbeau Inn & Spa. These include:
- Aromatherapy Ritual (lymphatic drainage massage)
A personalized aromatherapy experience and fusion of eastern and western massage techniques promotes balance of mind, body and spirit. 100 Minute Treatment
- Pinot Noir - Body Polish & Wrap (Vinotherapy treatment)
Pinot Noir Body mask is applied and exfoliated off to expose fresh nourished skin. The body is then wrapped with a Shiraz Firming Cream to tighten, nourish and hydrate. 100 Minute Treatment
- Nature’s Most Pure Facial
Blue lotus symbolizes purity of mind and body. Restore balance, clarity and radiance to skin with this deep cleansing facial. A Spirulina Mask is used to draw out impurities and aid with extractions. 100 Minute Treatment
About Mirbeau Inn & Spa
The 34-room Mirbeau Inn & Spa in Skaneateles, NY is an intimate, year-round retreat for rejuvenation and romance, offering gracious hospitality, award-winning cuisine, and world-class spa treatments in the heart of Central New York’s Finger Lakes wine region. Steeped in elegant French country style, Mirbeau is tucked into acres of Monet-inspired gardens near the shores of Skaneateles Lake, surrounded by spruce forests, rolling hills, crystal clear lakes and more than 100 wineries. Mirbeau Inn & Spa is the only Forbes Four-Star Award winner for hotel, spa and restaurant in New York, and an AAA Four-Diamond winner. It is also distinguished by the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence, Top Ten Spas in the World in the categories of romance and cuisine in Spa Finder’s Annual Readers’ Choice Awards, and Top Five Spas for Couples in the World in back-to-back years of Spa Magazine’s Silver Sage Readers’ Choice Favorites. Mirbeau was recently named one of the Top Twenty Small Resorts in the US by Condé Nast Magazine. For more information, call 877-MIRBEAU or visit www.mirbeau.com.
Contact: Shara Seigel / Katherine Van Ness